Santa Claus Macarons
for the macarons:
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 2 large egg whites, room temp
- pinch of cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup superfine sugar
for the filling:
- 300 g cranberries fresh or frozen is fine
- freshly squeezed juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup of water
- 2 large eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons of cornstarch
- 80 g of butter
- Pulse powdered sugar and almond flour in a food processor until combined. Sift two times.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Whisk whites with a mixer on medium speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar and whisk until soft peaks form. Reduce speed to low then add superfine sugar. Increase speed to high and whisk until stiff peaks form about 8 minutes long. Sift flour mixture over whites and fold until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Transfer batter to a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2 inch plain round tip and pipe 3/4 inch round 1 inch apart on parchment-lined baking sheets, dragging a pastry tip to the side of rounds rather than foaming peaks. Tap bottom of each sheet on work surface to release trapped air. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Reduce over temp to 325 degrees. Bake 1 sheet at a time, rotating halfway through until the macarons are crisp and firm, about 10 minutes After each batch, increase oven temperature to 375 degrees, heat for 5 minutes then reduce oven heat to 325 degrees.
- Let macarons cool on sheets for 2 to 3 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack. (If macarons stick, spray water underneath parchment on hot sheet. The steam will help release macarons)
- Sandwich 2 same size macarons with 1 teaspoon filling. Serve immediately, or stack between layers of parchment, wrap in plastic and freeze for up to 3 months.
- In a small saucepan, place the cranberries, lemon juice and usage. Cook over medium heat until cranberries are juicy, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat, mix the blender to puree, rub through a strainer, set aside to cool.
- Mix water, eggs, egg yolks, and cornstarch. Add mixture of cranberries and stir. Bring to a boil at the very end, adding butter, mix well. Pour into the jar, cool overnight in the fridge, then using as macarons filling.
Thank you mojewypieki.com for the cutest and YUMMIEST recipe ever!~ xxx